Friday, March 18, 2011

A Day In the Life of Triplets


After I told my story of today to my sister-in-law, she suggested that I blog it. So here I am, spilling the events of today.....a day not too typical (thank goodness) but not occasionally unusual either. A day in the life of triplets:

This morning Bronson worked an earlier shift (from 8 to 5). He normally works from 9 to 6. So, he left the house before the kids got up. It started normal for me. A cycling class at 5:30 am, then home to shower and get ready before the kiddos woke up. Today was one of those days when the kids actually woke up a little earlier, so, I was having them run around as I blow dryed my hair and got dressed.

We finally went downstairs for our breakfast; all three wanting to sit on the counter as I made it. After constantly picking up towels, oven mits, and anything else within reach they threw down....our oatmeal was made and it was time to eat. During our meal, Elise decided to spoon her oatmeal in her hand and then proceed to lick it off. This is not a daily habit, but every once in a while she likes to transfer food from plate to hand....and sometimes back to plate before it reaches her mouth. Although Preston likes the idea of using utensils to eat, he still resorts to the faster method (grabbing a handful and stuffing his face). He then shakes his hand to rid of any leftover food residue (of course....'cause no one can stand for food to be on their hand!) And then we have Mollie....much like her momma, she has her bowl empty and ready for a second helping before her siblings can finish their first round.

Once breakfast was done, I ushered the kids in the living room to watch a little Sesame Street so I could clean the kitchen, trays and floor. After a little while, I heard a "Yay....we did it!" I rushed over to the stairs to find that Elise and Preston collectively pulled the gate down and was already halfway up the stairs. I shrugged my shoulders and thought, we might as well go up there to change clothes, brush our teeth and do some other things that needed to be done. While changing the sheets on Preston's bed (his diaper leaked the night before), I hear shattering glass. The kids were supposed to be in the playroom/office (open room at the top of the stairs) playing. However, they were all jumping on our bed! They now can open doors (obviously). Apparently, they took a huge tupperware bin, turned it over, climbed on top to get on the bed. We have a big iron candelabra right above our headboard with about 10 glass votive holders. Preston had grabbed one and threw it down between the wall and headboard. It shattered when it hit the baseboard on the wall. That's when we made a quick change of plans and went back downstairs (I'm just glad we had already changed clothes and brushed our teeth!)

Since we still had about an hour and half before lunchtime, I thought we should all pack up, go to the store to get another votive holder and some doorknob holders (to keep them from going into our bedroom without my knowledge). Once we got in Hobby Lobby, the kids went crazy! Normally they're quiet and will sometimes point to items and name them (or look up at me and ask "what's that, mamma?"). This time was completely opposite! They yelled (I was assuming they didn't want to be there). So, I went down the aisle with mirrors so they can look at themselves while I try to find the votive holder. After they calmed down, I found what I was looking for and it was time to go. At the checkout several people surrounded us (this is very normal....and it ALWAYS happens) and started asking questions: Are they triplets? How old? How do you do it? I can't imagine! What are their names? Do you have help? And my answers have always been the same. Oh they're easy! This is not a difficult task. I always go out with them! Today was a little different. I just smiled and said "Oh....we have our days!"

Normally I don't buy them ANYTHING when we're in the store....so, they never ask. This time, Mollie desperately wanted a little plush soccer ball that was at the counter. I thought, why not? Bought that along with a football and basketball. They kept throwing them back in the bin! They're so used to not getting anything that they kept putting them back! When I finally explained to them that it was theirs, we took off.

By the time we got home, it was after their lunchtime....so I knew they would be getting to their nap late. I didn't mind and hoped that it would allow them to sleep a little longer so I can have more time to unwind from the events of the day. No such thing. Preston only slept an hour. The girls slept for an hour and half (their naptime is usually 3 hours long!). Thank goodness Gamma, PawPaw and Uncle Reed had stopped by to take them off my hands while I ran yet another errand.

The rest of the evening consisted of us going to Conroe (meeting Bronson there) to eat with family and not getting home till late (but it was so worth it). Bronson and I finally got in bed by 12:30....only to wake up at 6:30 to do it all over again! (Except that I had a 41 mile bike ride - training for the MS 150 ride in April). With all that happened.....I wouldn't trade it for the world! I love my life with triplets. It's pure organized chaos.

No comments: