Friday, September 10, 2010

Catching Up - Early May

Wow! It's been a crazy few months in the Burcham household!! Well, crazy enough for me not to post anything. I'll have to start where I left off.

The Monday following Mother's Day, I noticed what appeared to be the beginning of a boil on Elise's rear end. By Tuesday evening, it grew so much that it caused great concern for both Bronson and I. Wednesday morning, I took her to our Pediatrician (while Gamma watched Mollie and Preston) and was immediately sent to the ER at St. Luke's Hospital!!!

In the ER, the doctor had to lance the staph infected boil and then admit her for a two night stay. Elise did extremely well considering the circumstances. It was very difficult for me to watch the staff perform surgery on her with absolutely NO anesthetics!! They gave her something to keep her from moving....but as for pain, there wasn't anything they could do. She didn't scream....just moaned. Bless her little heart! Which....speaking of her heart....that also posed some obstacles in her healing. Because she still has the PDA (Patent Ductus Arteriosis), we were VERY conscientious of the danger the staph would cause if it reached her heart. Thank God....it didn't get that far.

By Friday, she was released with a 10 day dose of antibiotics, new soap, and an Elmo. GaGa (also known as Grandma) came to stay with us in the hospital and brought a special present for Elise......Elmo.

GaGa did more than be a support for me....she was Elise's security during this stressful time. I had other issues to tend to and I knew that Elise could sense the toll everything was taking on me.
And as always.....God turned something so terrible into something so beautiful. Both GaGa and I believe that her and Elise's relationship has grown a very special bond that is evident everytime they're reunited. Thank you to everyone that prayed for us....not just for Elise's health, but also for Bronson and I. We really appreciate it!

No comments: