Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Halloween (Sort Of...)

Most of you know that we don't celebrate Halloween. But nonetheless, I remember as a child, I always had "fun" during this celebration. It was neat to dress up in costumes; get candy from homes in the neighborhood; decorating with all the fall colors: orange, black, purple and green and just having a good time with friends. I have so many fond memories of this time that I couldn't resist my own childrens' request to dress up and "go somewhere".
 
 
 With slight hesitation, I allowed the kids to dress up in their choice of dress up clothes (costumes they already had...I was not about to purchase anything special for Halloween) and we went to "Aunt" Stacy's house. Stacy, a dear friend of mine (and devout woman of God), invites family and friends over to her home to fellowship and eat....A LOT! She has her own cake business and makes incredible treats for everyone to devour (thank you so much for the extra 10 pounds I gained!)
 During the course of the night, the older kids go out and "trick-or-treat" in the neighborhood. While they were packing their bags/buckets to go, the trips asked if they could go as well. Once again, I hesitated and then thought, "Why not?". So another friend of mine, along with her 3 year-old daughter, rounded the kiddos and went to several houses.
I will have to admit, they were quite the entertainment! Stephanie and I had such a great time watching our kids being silly and getting excited as their buckets filled with candy. The residents were thrilled to see the younger ones out and about and enjoyed looking at their costumes. While this is not a time of year that is highly celebrated as Christmas or Easter is, it is a time to allow the kids to be kids and to just enjoy being alive! As they get older, I see potential life lessons being taught during this time and what should be truly celebrated....a relationship with Christ.

No comments: