Sunday, December 9, 2012

Christmas Lights

It's that time of year again!!! My most favorite time of the year! Christmas is right around the corner and the Burcham household is in full swing!!! This is our busiest time of the year (as I'm sure it's everyone's as well). We have parties to attend, parties to plan, Christmas pictures to be taken and sent out, as well as birthday pictures, cookies and other goodies to bake (and to enjoy), lots of shopping and tying up loose ends before the upcoming new year. I enjoy EVERY minute of it! And every year I tell myself I'll start early...and every year I'm running on the same schedule...LATE!
 
 
 This year marks the very first year we put lights on our home (well, sort of). The weekend of Thanksgiving, I was on a mission to have lights on our front yard (our house is extremely tall and the thought of getting on a lengthy ladder was not very appealing to say the least). Although I thought I would begin this wonderful tradition the year after they were born, I decided to try to get away with not doing it until the kids were old enough to enjoy and appreciate them (and ask why our house was the only one not lit up). It's a tradition we held during my childhood that I wanted to continue in our family. I remember every year, my mom would take a whole weekend and make sure our house lit up the dark night during this wonderful season. And like a good daughter who follows just about everything her mother does, I set out to do the same.
 
Little did I know exactly how much work went into placing lights on shrubery and the like. Nor did I realize the cost. Needless to say, I learned quickly. It still didn't stop me. I always love a challenge and more importantly, the fruits of my labor.....looking at these little faces when their daddy and I plugged in the extension cords that would send little bits of eye pleasing, colored lights aglow was more than I could ask for.
Although I personally favor white lights, the kids were insistent on multi-colored ones. I will have to say, they chose best. Watching them dance around the lights and singing a few Christmas carols sent all the many frustrating trips to the store I experienced through the window (I blew a fuse twice, crushed several bulbs with the van, and had other bulbs crushed by little bike riders unable to control their steering). All that was left was a relaxed sigh and a smile. It was well worth it. Thus begins the first of many Christmases when we will battle the tangled lights, sharp pointed plants, and tons of replacement bulbs and fuses all to add that little magic to our childrens' Christmas.

No comments: