Monday, January 19, 2009

One Down...Two To Go!

Mollie's home! We got to bring her home last night!! We thought we would have all of them, but one is better than none.

Okay...here's the latest and greatest. Bronson and I got to do "care by parent" Saturday night. That's when we get to stay overnight at the hospital with our babies as a "crash course" on taking care of premature babies and of course, multiples by ourselves. I think we did a great job considering there's three of them and only two of us. We definitely did not get a wink of sleep!! But after it was all over, I believed we made a great team. There is one thing we learned....we will need a third person. No question about that!!

Around 3:30 pm, the doctor came in to check on us and to give us the news that only Mollie would be going home. He felt that Preston and Elise were still not eating well on their own. I reluctantly agreed and said whatever it takes to get them home healthy. So, with tears in my eyes, we said good night to our babies and went home with one.

Last night was interesting to say the least. Mollie decided to "hang out" with her mommy from her feeding at 11 pm to her next feeding at 2 am. It was fun!! Maybe it was the new bed she was in or the fact that she knew her brother and sister were not with her. Or....it could be that she's just a baby and needs to cry it out. Although, I have rarely heard her cry. She broke me in last night (and this morning).

When we got to the NICU this morning, Elise and Preston had to have their feeding tubes reinserted. They went back to 6 of 8 feedings. We were told that they are just getting too tired. They're exerting too much energy; more than they should. It made me sad, but I'm glad that it happened in the NICU instead of after they came home. I would hate to bring them back. It has become a little more difficult traveling, but I can't stay home when my babies are up there. Mollie, mom and I pack up and get there to spend most of the day (not quite as early as before). I'm so thankful the doctor approved Mollie to come back. Usually once a baby is discharged from the hospital, they're not allowed back in the NICU. But because we don't have toddlers or other children at home, she's fine. That brings me to another point.....we would ask that no visitors come to the NICU anymore. Elise and Preston are way too exhausted to receive visitors. I'm trying to keep their stimulation level at a minimum. This may continue even when they come home. We'll have to see.

Out of all this, one thing has been made evident in my life: Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God and the peace of God which, surpasses all understanding will guard your heart and mind through Christ Jesus. Only God can grant that peace. And for the first time ever, I have experienced it. I have quoted that scripture time and again and used it to encourage many other people. But this time, I'm living it. God is carrying us all through this. It's an unexplainable feeling and "knowing" that I have about our situation. God still reigns. It is He who gives life. And His strength is made perfect in our weaknesses. This didn't take Him by surprise. He knew it all along. And I trust that He will complete a work in us. Especially me. And for that, I am eternally grateful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am in absolute awe of what God is doing in your lives!

Bobbi Jo said...

Wonderful to hear that Mollie is home! I know these days are hard, but remember this is a season. It will pass and you will begin a new one soon. Hang it there! God is always good!